How to Wash a Clear Phone Case: A Step-By-Step Guide
Nov 09, 2023
Having a clear phone case comes with many benefits. It’s sleek, modern, and doesn’t hide the phone's style and design. But that doesn’t mean they’re perfect. Probably the most inconvenient thing about owning a clear phone case is its tendency to turn yellow after a while.
This yellow hue immediately ages the case and detracts from its appeal. So what are you to do?
Is it just a case of accepting it and buying a new one? Not necessarily. You can use several methods to clean your case, and we’ve outlined a few options below for you.
Read on to see how to bring your case back to pristine condition.
The first method we suggest trying requires you to use dish soap. We love this method because it should be simple and easy – after all, you hopefully already have dish soap in your home. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Add a few drops of dish soap to a sink of warm water and get it nice and bubbly.
- Find a small brush or scrub to use. We’d recommend a spare toothbrush or something similar. You’ll need something with small enough bristles to get into all the nooks and crannies.
- Use the brush to scrub the entirety of the case. Make sure you clean the inside and outside, as well as the corners and any grooves.
- As you do this, dunk it in the water several times to be thorough with your cleaning.
- When you’re happy with how it looks and feels, rinse it under clean, warm water until all the suds are gone.
- Towel dry thoroughly (preferably with a microfiber towel) before letting it air dry.
- Ensure the case is completely dry before reinstalling it on the phone, as any leftover water could damage the phone.
Now, onto the method using baking soda. While you might need to pop to the shop to pick some up, trust us: it’s worth it.
Did you know baking soda can be used for much more than cooking? Here’s how you can use it to clean your phone case of any discoloration:
- Unlike the previous method, this one can get a little messy, so we suggest clearing the area and laying a towel down before you start. Place the case on top.
- With this method, you’ll clean one side first and then the other. It doesn’t matter which way round you start. Sprinkle baking soda over whichever side you choose to do first.
- You’ll also need a brush for this method, so grab your spare toothbrush, wet the head, and then scrub the soda over the case until it’s more like a paste.
- Scrub in a circular motion, and make sure to get into all the corners and hidden areas. Add more water to the brush head if needed.
- When completed, run it under warm water and repeat with the other side.
- When both sides are done, towel dry and then leave to air dry before putting the case back on your phone.
Like baking soda, rubbing alcohol has many uses around the home. It’s a great thing to have on hand, so once you’ve got some, you’ll use it for so much more than just cleaning your phone case. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- First, do a spot check on an inconspicuous part of the case. While it’ll likely be okay, some rubbing alcohols can have the opposite effect and can discolor your case even more than it was.
- When that’s done, and you’re happy to proceed, apply the alcohol to a cloth (preferably microfiber). If you’re using alcohol wipes, you can skip this step.
- Now wipe the whole thing down, taking care to get into every corner and groove to clean it thoroughly.
- Take a clean microfiber cloth and wipe over the case to remove any excess liquid, and then leave it to air dry before putting it back on your phone.
Need a New Phone Case? Shop Casely!
As you can see, removing the discoloration of your transparent phone case is quick and easy. Even better, you can do it efficiently with items you likely already have in your home.
Cleaning your phone case regularly will help keep the discoloration at bay and remove any harmful bacteria that might build up. Remember – you use your phone every day, so it's essential to keep it clean.
That being said, no amount of cleaning will preserve your case forever. When the time comes to replace your case with a new one, check out our excellent selection of phone cases available at Casely!